Mortgages discussions and local services.
Is now a dumb time to refi or should I wait it out?
Honestly, I’d pump the brakes before jumping into a refi just because rates look tempting. People get caught up in the lower monthly payment and forget you’re resetting the clock - and those closing costs aren’t pocket change. If you’re planning to stay put for a while, sure, maybe it pencils out, but I’ve seen folks regret it when life throws yet another curveball. I’d say double-check your break-even math and really think about how stable your plans are. Sometimes waiting it out saves you more in the long run, even if it feels counterintuitive right now.
Had a buddy who refi’d for a lower rate, but didn’t factor in the closing costs and ended up moving two years later. He barely broke even. Like you said,
Sometimes the numbers look good on paper, but life’s messy. I’d rather wait than rush into another 30-year clock unless I’m dead sure I’m staying put.“double-check your break-even math and really think about how stable your plans are.”
Yeah, that break-even math can sneak up on you. I’ve seen folks get excited about shaving off half a percent, but after fees and moving sooner than planned, it’s a wash. Ever try running the numbers with a “what if I move in 3 years” scenario? It’s eye-opening. Sometimes waiting it out is just less stressful, honestly.
Title: Is now a dumb time to refi or should I wait it out?
I get where you’re coming from, but I’m not sure waiting is always the safer move. I mean, yeah, break-even math can be tricky, and if you end up moving sooner than you thought, it stings to realize you basically paid for nothing. But then again, rates don’t always go down just because we hope they will. If they go up instead, you might end up regretting not locking in something better while you had the chance.
I ran the numbers with a 3-year move scenario like you mentioned. For me, it actually still made sense to refi because my current rate is pretty high and the fees weren’t as bad as I expected after shopping around. Maybe I’m just more risk-averse, but I’d rather pay a bit more in fees now and have a lower monthly payment for as long as I’m there - even if it’s only a few years - than gamble on rates staying low or dropping further.
The stress of “what ifs” gets to me more than just biting the bullet and doing the paperwork. Plus, life plans change... I thought I’d move in two years, but now it’s looking like five. Hard to predict.
Not saying everyone should jump at every half-percent drop, but sometimes waiting for the “perfect” time just means missing out altogether. There’s no perfect answer, but for some of us, even a small monthly savings feels worth it - especially with how expensive everything else is getting lately. Just my two cents.
- Been there. I refi’d last year when rates dipped a bit, even though everyone kept saying “wait, they’ll go lower.”
- My break-even was about 2.5 years, and honestly, I figured if I moved before then, the few grand lost wouldn’t kill me.
- The peace of mind from a lower payment every month was worth it.
- Life’s unpredictable - my “short-term” plan turned into staying put, so it worked out.
- Not sure there’s ever a perfect time, but waiting for one just stressed me out more than anything.