Mortgages discussions and local services.

Boosting My Credit a Bit Before I Refinance - Worth the Wait?

348 replies 19.5 K views
 
13 posts

I get what you’re saying about not waiting forever, but I’m a little wary of jumping the gun. For me, I’m like 15 points away from the next bracket, and it feels like if I just pay down a bit more on my cards, I could get there in a month or two. I know rates can move, but they don’t usually spike overnight, right? I’d rather take the shot at a better rate than wonder if I left money on the table. Maybe I’m overthinking it, but that’s just how my brain works.


Reply
hecho16
11 posts

Boosting My Credit a Bit Before I Refinance - Worth the Wait?

Totally get the urge to squeeze out those extra points - I’ve seen folks wait for that magic number, only for the rates to nudge up a hair and cancel out the gain. Once, I waited just two months for my own refi, got the higher score... and then rates ticked up enough that it barely made a dent. It’s a bit of a gamble either way, but if you’re close and can pay down quickly, might be worth rolling the dice. Just don’t blink and miss your window, ya know?


Reply
kathycyber426
18 posts

I get the whole “don’t wait too long” thing, but man, those credit score brackets can make a big difference in your rate. I’m kinda stubborn - I’d rather wait a month or two if it means dropping into a better tier. Worst case, I just end up with more paid-off debt, right?


Reply
mjohnson44
12 posts

Waiting for a better credit tier sounds smart on paper, but timing can be tricky. Rates can shift in a month or two, and sometimes the market moves faster than your score does. I’ve seen folks hold out for a 20-point jump, only to watch rates climb and wipe out the savings. If you’re close to a threshold, maybe it’s worth it, but if it’s going to take longer, sometimes locking in a decent rate now is the safer play. Just depends how much risk you’re willing to take with the market.


Reply
barbara_williams
5 posts

I get where you’re coming from - timing the market is tough. I waited a few months to hit a higher credit tier once, but rates crept up and I barely saved anything in the end. If you’re just a few points away, maybe it’s worth a shot, but if it’ll take longer, sometimes locking in now just makes more sense. The peace of mind is worth something too.


Reply

Join the conversation

Share your experience or ask a follow-up question.

Scroll to Top