Mortgages discussions and local services.
Boosting My Credit a Bit Before I Refinance - Worth the Wait?
Had a client last year in almost the same boat - just a few points shy of the next credit tier. We mapped out a quick plan: paid down a couple cards, waited for the update, and it bumped them up enough to save a decent chunk on their rate. Not always a guarantee, but if you’re close, sometimes waiting a month or two can really pay off. Just watch out for any big life changes or rate hikes in the meantime... timing can be tricky.
Not always a guarantee, but if you’re close, sometimes waiting a month or two can really pay off.
That's true, but I'd add - timing the market is tough. Lenders can change rates or guidelines with little notice. I've seen folks wait for a score bump and end up with a higher rate anyway. Sometimes the "sure thing" today beats a maybe tomorrow. Just depends how risk-averse you are.
I get where you're coming from, but I’ve seen the opposite too. Sometimes that extra 20-30 points on your score can drop you into a better tier and save a ton over the life of the loan. Yeah, rates can move, but credit score jumps aren’t always tiny. If you’re just a few points away from a big threshold, waiting might actually be worth it - unless you’re super worried about rates spiking overnight. It’s a gamble either way, honestly.
That’s a fair point - sometimes those credit score jumps really do make a difference, especially if you’re right on the edge of a new tier. I remember stressing over a handful of points before my last refi, wondering if it was worth waiting another month or two. Have you checked how much your rate would actually change at the next threshold? Sometimes the savings are bigger than expected, but other times it’s just a tiny drop. Curious what you’re seeing with your lender?
Yeah, you nailed it - those tier jumps can be stressful, especially when you’re hovering just below the next cutoff. I usually recommend folks check with their lender for a rate quote at both their current score and the next tier up. Sometimes a 10-point bump saves a chunk, but other times it barely moves the needle. One thing I always caution about: if you wait too long hoping for a score boost, rates in the market could creep up in the meantime... so it’s a bit of a balancing act. I’ve seen people hold out and then regret not locking in sooner when rates ticked up unexpectedly. Just something to keep in mind.