Mortgages discussions and local services.

Boosting My Credit a Bit Before I Refinance - Worth the Wait?

348 replies 19.8 K views
 
sailor19
21 posts

This is spot-on advice. I remember when I was first looking into getting pre-approved for my mortgage, my credit score was right on the edge of a better rate. Literally just needed like 8 more points or something silly like that. I spent two months obsessively paying down balances and refreshing my credit app like it was Instagram - no joke, I probably checked it more than social media.

Funny thing is, when I finally got those extra few points, the lender offered me a rate that saved me over $80/month on payments. Doesn't sound huge at first glance, but multiply that by 30 years...yikes. Definitely worth the wait, even though patience isn't exactly my strongest virtue (just ask anyone who's seen me waiting for pizza delivery).

One thing I'm curious about though - does anyone know if there's a certain point where waiting to improve your score further stops being worth it? Like, is there a sweet spot where the savings diminish enough that you might as well just jump in already?


Reply
dreamhomemortgage
391 posts

That’s a very real concern, and you’re not alone in debating whether to refinance now or wait while working on credit. Improving your score can absolutely help you secure a better rate and lower costs over the life of the loan. On the other hand, rates do shift, and timing can matter. At Dream Home Mortgage, we often run “what if” scenarios for clients - comparing what refinancing looks like today versus what it could look like if their credit score improves in a few months. That way, you have a clear picture to make the best decision for your situation. Feel free to reach out if you’d like us to run the numbers and guide you through the options.


Reply
27 posts

Honestly, I get where you’re coming from - waiting to bump up your credit score can feel like a gamble, especially with rates moving all over the place. When I refinanced last year, I waited a few months to pay down some cards and saw my rate drop by almost half a percent. But it’s tricky… sometimes the market shifts faster than your score does. If you’re close to a better tier, it might be worth holding out, but if rates look like they’re about to jump, locking in now could save you stress. It’s all about balance, I guess.


Reply
margaretrobinson155
20 posts

I get the logic behind waiting for a better score, but honestly, I think people sometimes overestimate how much half a percent really saves in the long run - especially if you’re planning to refinance again or sell in a few years. I’ve watched friends miss out on decent rates because they waited for that “perfect” bump, only to see rates spike. Sometimes, just locking in something solid and predictable is the smarter play, even if your score isn’t quite at its peak. The market rarely waits for anyone.


Reply
20 posts

Sometimes, just locking in something solid and predictable is the smarter play, even if your score isn’t quite at its peak.

I’ve been down this road. Waited months for my score to nudge up, only for rates to jump higher than any savings I’d get from a better score. If you’re not planning to stay put for ages, chasing that “perfect” rate can backfire. Sometimes “good enough” really is good enough.


Reply

Join the conversation

Share your experience or ask a follow-up question.

Scroll to Top