Mortgages discussions and local services.

Boosting My Credit a Bit Before I Refinance - Worth the Wait?

348 replies 18.8 K views
 
16 posts

Totally agree with the advice above. I had a similar situation last year - thought I'd wait a bit to squeeze out a few extra points, but rates jumped on me and I ended up kicking myself. Honestly, unless you're right on the edge of a better tier, those 12 points probably won't move the needle much. I'd double-check with your lender just to be sure, but locking in now might save you some headaches later...


Reply
james_evans
20 posts

"Honestly, unless you're right on the edge of a better tier, those 12 points probably won't move the needle much."

Good point here, but I'd still run the numbers carefully. Had a client recently who was just shy of a better rate tier - only about 10 points off - and waiting a month actually paid off for her. Rates stayed steady, and she ended up saving quite a bit long-term. It's definitely situational, so crunch your numbers and weigh the risk of rates moving against you.


Reply
19 posts

"Rates stayed steady, and she ended up saving quite a bit long-term. It's definitely situational..."

Totally agree it's situational, but I'd lean toward waiting if you're within striking distance of the next tier. Ran into something similar with my brother last year - he was about 15 points shy, debated holding off. We did the math, and even a slight improvement meant thousands saved over the life of the loan. Sure, there's always the risk rates tick up slightly...but refinancing isn't something you do every day. Better to wait a month or two, boost your credit score a bit, and lock in a better deal for the long haul (assuming no major hikes are looming). Just my two cents - always worth crunching numbers for your specific situation before you pull the trigger.


Reply
19 posts

Had a similar experience myself a couple years back. Was about 10 points away from a better rate tier, debated waiting or just going ahead. Decided to hold off for about six weeks, paid down a credit card balance a bit, and it bumped me up enough to snag a noticeably better rate. Saved me a good chunk over the long run. Definitely worth running the numbers first though - sometimes the difference isn't as big as you'd think.


Reply
18 posts

I went through something similar last year. My score was hovering just below the next tier, and I debated whether it was worth waiting or if I should just refinance immediately. Decided to wait about two months, made a few extra payments on my car loan, and that small boost pushed me over the line. It didn't seem like much at first glance, but when I sat down and did the math, the difference in rates actually added up significantly over the life of the loan. I agree with your point though - sometimes the bump isn't as impactful as you'd expect. Definitely pays to crunch the numbers carefully beforehand and see if the wait is justified. Glad it worked out well for you, too.


Reply

Join the conversation

Share your experience or ask a follow-up question.

Scroll to Top