Mortgages discussions and local services.
Can You Get a Mortgage with a 580 Credit Score? Yes - Here’s How!
I get where you’re coming from, but I’d actually push back a bit on jumping into a mortgage with a 580 score, even if FHA says it’s possible. Here’s why: I’ve seen folks wait just a few months, pay down a credit card or two, and suddenly they’re looking at way better rates and way less mortgage insurance. Sometimes that patience pays off more than locking in a rate right now, especially if your credit’s trending up. Those “just for now” loans can end up costing you way more in the long run. Maybe it’s worth running the numbers both ways before making the leap?
I get where you’re coming from, but I actually see a case for moving forward with a 580 score in some situations. What if someone’s rent keeps going up and they’re worried about getting priced out? Sometimes waiting to boost your score just isn’t realistic if the market’s moving fast or you need stability. I’d just want to make sure the monthly payment is something you can live with, even if the rate isn’t perfect. Anyone else ever feel like waiting for the “perfect” score just drags things out forever?
CAN YOU GET A MORTGAGE WITH A 580 CREDIT SCORE? YES - HERE’S HOW!
Anyone else ever feel like waiting for the “perfect” score just drags things out forever?
That’s a real thing, and honestly, I’ve seen it happen more than once. Folks get stuck in this loop of “just a few more points” and meanwhile, prices keep climbing or rents jump up again. Sometimes you’ve got to weigh what’s actually possible right now against what might be better down the road.
If you’re thinking about moving forward with a 580 score, here’s how I usually break it down with buyers:
1. **Get Pre-Approved First**
Even with a 580, some lenders (especially FHA) will work with you. It’s not always the best rate, but at least you’ll know what you’re working with. That clarity helps a ton.
2. **Budget for Higher Payments**
Rates and mortgage insurance will be higher. I always tell people to run the numbers for worst-case scenarios - like, what if taxes or insurance go up next year? Can you still swing it?
3. **Factor in Upfront Costs**
With lower scores, you might need a bigger down payment or pay extra fees. Sometimes sellers can help with closing costs, but that depends on your market.
4. **Think About Refinancing Later**
If you do get in at a higher rate, there’s always the option to refinance when your score improves or rates drop. Not guaranteed, but it’s something to keep in mind.
5. **Don’t Ignore Other Debts**
I’ve seen people get so focused on the mortgage that they forget about car loans, credit cards, student loans... All that stuff adds up when you’re figuring out what you can actually afford each month.
I’m curious - has anyone here actually bought with a score in the high 500s? Did you regret not waiting, or did it work out? I’ve had clients who were just relieved to stop renting and start building equity, even if their first loan wasn’t perfect. But I’ve also seen people feel squeezed by payments they didn’t expect.
What’s everyone’s experience been with balancing “good enough” versus waiting for “perfect”?
I actually bought my first place with a 585 score last year. It wasn’t ideal, but honestly, waiting for my score to creep up just felt endless. The rate was higher than I wanted, but rent was going up faster than I could save. I did have to budget tighter for a while, but I don’t regret it. I’m already seeing a little equity, and I figure I’ll refinance when things improve. Not perfect, but it worked for me.
I’ve seen folks do exactly what you did, and honestly, sometimes jumping in is the only way to get off the rent treadmill. Years ago, I picked up a duplex with a not-so-great score myself - rate was ugly, but the rent from the other unit covered most of my mortgage. It wasn’t glamorous, but it got my foot in the door. You’re right, refinancing down the line can make a world of difference once your numbers look better. Sometimes “good enough” is actually the smart move.
Jumping in with a less-than-perfect credit score is gutsy, and honestly, it’s not for everyone. I’ve seen folks get burned by biting off more than they could chew, but I’ve also watched people make it work - especially when they’re strategic about it, like picking up a duplex or a property with rental potential. That extra income can really soften the blow of a higher interest rate.
I remember working with a client who had a 585 score - she was nervous, and frankly, I was too. We spent weeks combing through listings until she found a small triplex. The numbers weren’t pretty at first glance, but once we factored in the rental income, things started to make sense. She lived in one unit and rented out the other two. It wasn’t glamorous living - she had to deal with some noisy tenants and the occasional plumbing headache - but after a couple years, her credit improved and she was able to refinance into a much better rate. That move saved her hundreds each month.
I do think there’s a fine line between “good enough” and “risky.” Sometimes folks get so eager to escape renting that they overlook stuff like maintenance costs or vacancy risk. I always tell people: run the numbers twice, then sleep on it before making any big decisions. But if you’re realistic about what you’re getting into and have a plan for improving your situation down the road, starting with a less-than-ideal mortgage can be a smart stepping stone.
Refinancing is a game-changer once your credit’s up and you’ve built some equity. It’s not instant gratification, but it’s doable. Just gotta keep your eyes open and your expectations in check.
I get where you’re coming from, but honestly, I think jumping into a mortgage with a 580 score is just stacking the deck against yourself. Sure, rental income can help, but what if you hit a vacancy or a big repair right out of the gate? I’ve seen people get stuck with high payments and no wiggle room. Sometimes it’s worth waiting six months, focusing hard on credit repair, and then shopping for a loan with better terms. That little bit of patience can save thousands in the long run.
Sometimes it’s worth waiting six months, focusing hard on credit repair, and then shopping for a loan with better terms. That little bit of patience can save thousands in the long run.
I hear you, and honestly, I’ve seen both sides of this. Had a client last year who jumped in with a 580 - yeah, their rate wasn’t pretty, but they snagged a fixer-upper in a hot market. Fast forward eight months, their credit’s up, home value’s up, and they refi’d into something way better. Not saying it’s for everyone, but sometimes waiting isn’t the only way to win. Just gotta know what you’re getting into and have a backup plan if stuff hits the fan.
That’s a fair point - sometimes timing really is everything, especially in a market that’s moving fast. I’ve seen folks jump in with less-than-ideal credit and make it work, but it takes guts and a solid plan. Not everyone’s situation is the same, though. There’s definitely risk if the market cools or your refi window closes. But yeah, sometimes you just have to weigh the cost of waiting against the potential upside. No one-size-fits-all answer here.
Seen it both ways, honestly. Some folks with a 580 score manage to snag a loan, but they usually end up paying more - either with higher rates or bigger down payments. Lenders want to see stability, so if your income’s solid and you’ve got some reserves, it can tip things in your favor. Timing does matter, but I’d say don’t rush just because the market’s hot. I’ve watched people get burned trying to chase trends... sometimes waiting and working on your credit pays off in the long run.
“sometimes waiting and working on your credit pays off in the long run.”
That’s been my experience, honestly. I remember looking at houses a few years back with a score right around 600. Got pre-approved, but the rate was ugly and the lender wanted a chunk of cash down - way more than I’d expected. Didn’t feel right, so I pulled back.
Spent about a year just paying off cards, kept things steady at work, and my score jumped up into the high 600s. When I tried again, not only did I get a better rate, but the whole process felt less stressful. Lenders were actually competing for my business instead of acting like they were doing me a favor.
I get that people want to jump in when the market’s moving fast, but from what I’ve seen, “chasing trends” usually just means you end up paying more for less house. Not saying it’s impossible with a 580, but you’ve gotta be ready for the trade-offs - higher payments, stricter terms, maybe even mortgage insurance that sticks around forever.
If you’ve got solid income and some savings, sure, you might get approved. But the real question is whether you want to lock yourself into those terms just to buy now. For me, waiting and getting things in order made a huge difference, not just in what I could afford but in how much sleep I lost at night worrying about it.
I know not everyone has the luxury to wait, but if you do, it’s worth considering. Those higher rates add up fast over 30 years - felt like a no-brainer once I did the math.
Waiting can feel like torture, but honestly, I’ve watched too many buyers rush in with a 580 or 600 score and end up regretting it. I’ve had clients who insisted on buying ASAP, thinking they’d “miss out” if they waited. Sure, they got the keys, but their payments were brutal - sometimes $300-400 more per month than if they’d just waited six months to clean up their credit. That’s not pocket change over the life of a loan.
One couple I worked with had a 590 score and barely scraped together the down payment. They got approved, but the lender tacked on every fee in the book, and their mortgage insurance was sky-high. Fast forward a year: their friends took my advice, worked on their credit, and ended up with a much better rate, lower insurance, and more negotiating power. The difference in what they could afford was night and day.
I get the urge to jump in, especially when everyone’s talking about rising prices. But the reality is, lenders aren’t doing you any favors at 580 - they’re just covering their risk, and you’re the one paying for it. Sometimes it’s smarter to wait, pay off some debt, and come back stronger. The market isn’t going anywhere overnight, and you’ll sleep better knowing you’re not stretched to the limit.
Not saying it’s impossible to buy with a lower score - just that it’s rarely the best move unless you have no other option. If you can hold off and get your ducks in a row, you’ll thank yourself later. Seen it play out too many times to believe otherwise.
I hear where you’re coming from, but I’m not sure it’s always that simple. I’ve been crunching the numbers for my own situation, and waiting to improve my score might not actually pay off if home prices and interest rates keep climbing. If prices go up even 5% in six months, that could wipe out the savings from a slightly lower rate, especially in a hot market.
I get that the monthly payment is higher with a 580 score, but if you can refinance later - once your credit improves and you’ve built some equity - it might make sense to get in now rather than risk being priced out. Plus, renting isn’t exactly cheap either, and that money isn’t going toward anything long-term.
Not saying it’s the right move for everyone, but I think it depends on your local market, how fast you can realistically boost your score, and whether you’re comfortable with the risk. For some of us, waiting just isn’t a guarantee things will get better.
I've seen this play out with a few buyers I worked with last year. One couple jumped in with a 580-ish score, locked in before prices shot up, and managed to refi within 18 months when their credit improved. Their payment dropped, but more importantly, they actually got the house they wanted. Meanwhile, another client held off hoping to boost their score, but by the time they were ready, the same neighborhood was out of reach. Timing really does matter, especially when the market’s hot. Sometimes waiting for that “perfect” scenario just isn’t realistic.
I get where you’re coming from, but I’ve seen folks jump in with a lower score and end up pretty stressed about the monthly payment, especially if something unexpected comes up. Sure, they refi later, but that first year can be rough. Sometimes waiting a bit does make sense, even if it means missing out on a “hot” neighborhood. It’s not always just about timing - sometimes it’s about peace of mind, too.
Sometimes waiting a bit does make sense, even if it means missing out on a “hot” neighborhood. It’s not always just about timing - sometimes it’s about peace of mind, too.
That’s a really solid point. I’ve seen people get super excited about locking in a place, especially when they hear “you can qualify with a 580!” but then reality hits when the payments start rolling in. It’s easy to underestimate how much those first few months can weigh on you, especially if you’re juggling repairs or unexpected stuff like a busted water heater.
But I’ve also watched folks who took the leap with a lower score and managed just fine - usually because they had a backup plan or some savings stashed away. I guess it comes down to knowing your own comfort zone. Is the stress of a higher payment worth getting into that dream spot now, or is it better to wait and build up a bit more cushion? There’s no one-size-fits-all answer, but I totally get wanting to avoid sleepless nights over bills. Peace of mind is underrated, honestly.
Waiting can feel like torture when you see houses flying off the market, but I think you’re right - peace of mind is worth a lot. I’ve bought with a less-than-ideal score before, and here’s what helped me keep my sanity:
1. I made a brutally honest budget, factoring in not just the mortgage but also insurance, taxes, and a “stuff breaks” fund. It’s wild how fast little repairs add up.
2. I shopped around for lenders. Some were way more flexible than others, and the difference in rates was bigger than I expected.
3. I didn’t max out what I qualified for. Just because the bank says you can afford it doesn’t mean your stress levels will agree.
One thing I’d add: sometimes waiting isn’t just about saving more cash - it’s about learning what you actually want in a house or neighborhood. The first time around, I was so focused on “getting in” that I ignored red flags (like that weird smell in the basement). If you’re not 100% sure, it’s okay to hit pause. The right place will come along... eventually.
I hear you on the peace of mind thing, but I’ll play devil’s advocate for a sec. Sometimes waiting doesn’t actually make things less stressful, especially if prices keep climbing or rates jump while you’re sitting on the sidelines. I’ve watched folks wait for “the right time” and then get priced out entirely.
That said, I totally get what you mean about not maxing out your budget and looking past the shiny stuff.
Couldn’t agree more there. But sometimes, if you’ve got a stable income and a solid plan - even with a 580 score - it can make sense to get in sooner rather than later. The key is not biting off more than you can chew and being brutally honest about what you’re getting into.“Just because the bank says you can afford it doesn’t mean your stress levels will agree.”
Anyway, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer. It’s always a bit of a gamble, whether you buy now or wait. Just gotta know your own risk tolerance, I guess.
Honestly, I’ve seen both sides of this play out. Folks who waited hoping for a dip, only to watch prices run away from them, and others who jumped in too fast and felt the pinch every month. With a 580, you can technically get a loan - FHA’s the usual route - but you’ll need a bigger down payment and the rates aren’t always pretty. Lenders will look hard at your income and debt, so being brutally honest with yourself about what you can handle is key. Sometimes, “waiting for perfect” just means missing out entirely, but rushing in can sting too. It’s a balancing act, for sure.
Sometimes, “waiting for perfect” just means missing out entirely, but rushing in can sting too.
That hits home. I kept waiting for my credit to hit 620, but honestly, the market just kept moving. Ended up going FHA with a 590 and yeah, the rate isn’t dreamy, but I’m building equity now instead of paying rent. It’s not always about perfect timing - sometimes it’s about making the best move you can with what you’ve got.